District of Cary and Dunluce
Lodge, No. 280 Moyarget. This Lodge was granted its Warrant on the 1st March 1821. The hall built 1961 for a cost of £2868.00. The hall was dedicated on 30th September 1961 and is a modern building with toilets, kitchen, cloakroom, hall, ante room and main Lodge room, which measures 800 sq. ft. It is oil heated and the Brethren take great pride in its upkeep, doing something every year to improve the fabric and comfort of the hall. Being a relatively new building it has not many contents of interest or of any value. The original foundation stone of the old hall has pride of place in front of the Master’s dais and the Dedication Stone has been built into the wall of the ante room. Amongst the Lodge treasures are the original hand painted pine Ballot box, an engraved Waterford goblet with Masonic symbols dating back to the 1840’s and in the main hall is the silver trowel used by Rt. W. Bro. Rupert Stanley in 1961 to lay the Foundation Stone. This trowel was given to Ark Lodge No. 10, Belfast by Rt. W. Bro. Stanley’s widow and they, in turn, returned it to Moyarget. It now has pride of place on the back wall of the Lodge room. One other Memorial in the Lodge room is to the memory of W. Bro. Johnny Moore, Lodge Secretary between the years 1970-1978, who was brutally murdered on his farm along with his sheepdog and a pet lamb, as a result of a terrorist landmine. On the walls of the Lodge room are W. Bro. Moore’s M.M. Certificate and his P.M. Certificate. On the west wall is a collection of photos of the dedication of the hall taken by the late Rt. W. Bro. Harry Irwin, who had been the photographer on the day.
Thanks to Irish Masonic Records v3
Lodges that meet here
280 : Moyarget
meets each month on the 1st Tuesday at 8.00 pm with the exception of the months of July – August – September
127 Moyarget Road