“St John’s Masonic Lodge” (Number 162) was formed on May 28, 1813, and has a strong sea-faring tradition.
Our new stained glass window shows a vessel entering home waters and was designed by long-standing
member and well-known Islandmagee artist.” The lodge had 20 founding members and originally met at
Mill Bay before moving to its current location in 1873. It was formerly known as the Mariner Lodge, but
changed its name to St John’s in 1895. The Masonic Hall will be open from 10am to 4pm on Saturday 14th
September 2019. There will be light refreshments provided free of charge for all visitors. There will be
short guided tours. There is limited off street car parking immediately adjacent to the hall and a lay-by for
additional parking 100m away on the Whitehead side. There is a stair lift to the first floor & Lodge Room.
Freemasonry consists of fraternal organisations that trace their origins to the local fraternities of
stonemasons, which from the end of the fourteenth century regulated the qualifications of stonemasons
and their interaction with authorities and clients. Benevolence has always been the cornerstone of
Freemasonry. Goodwill to all and a desire to help those less fortunate are fundamental principles of the
Masonic Fraternity and therefore, charitable giving is a major part of membership of the Freemasons. Our
members engage in acts of benevolence in a variety of ways, either through simple gestures such as gift
giving, or through the raising of monies for a variety of funds which help a wide variety of people.
Further information on Irish Freemasonry can be found at Grand Lodge of Ireland website
https://freemason.ie, and The Provincial Grand Lodge of Antrim website http://pglantrim.org
FREEMASONRY IS A BEAUTIFUL SYSTEM OF MORALITY, VEILED IN ALLEGORY AND ILLUSTRATED BY SYMBOLS”