Andrew Henderson Masonic Lodge No.512 – Masonic Centre Whiteabbey
1921 – 2021
On this day, 100 years ago on 11th June 1921 Andrew Henderson Masonic Lodge 512 was Constituted.
10 years ago when a small committee of the Lodge commenced planning and fund raising for this occasion little did we imagine that our Centenary meeting would be on hold due to a worldwide pandemic and we would not be able to meet in masonic fellowship to celebrate our centenary. However we believe that this day should not pass without some mention of our Lodge’s History and publish some the details, such as the History of the warrant and the minutes constitution the lodge. Also recorded are the details of the Foundation Officers of the Lodge
Foundation Officers of the Lodge 1921
Worshipful Master W.Bro. Robert Dickson PM
Senior Warden Bro. Robert Allen
Junior Warden Bro. William McKinstry
Treasurer W.Bro. David W Wallace PM
Secretary W.Bro Samuel McClure PM
Director of Ceremonies W.Bro
Senior Deacon Bro David Martin
Junior Deacon Bro. Arthur D McDonald
Inner Guard Bro Alexander Martin
Officers of the Lodge 2021
Worshipful Master W.Bro. Paul Lemon
Senior Warden W.Bro T Foster Clyde. PM PPGD: PPGI
Junior Warden Bro. Lyness Boal
Treasurer W.Bro. John McCann PM
Secretary Rt.W.Bro Jack Adair MBE PM PPGDofC: PPGI: PPGS
Director of Ceremonies W.Bro Arthur Gill. PM: PPGS
Steward of Charities W.Bro Wm J Stewart PM
Almoner W.Bro John Gill PM
Chaplain W.Bro. Tom Millar PM
Senior Deacon Bro William Boal
Junior Deacon Bro Neil Bickerstaff
Inner Guard W.Bro. Derek Randall PM; PPGIG
Occasional Meeting of the Provincial Grand Lodge of Antrim 11th Day June 1921
An Occasional Communication of the Right Worshipful the Provincial Grand Lodge of the Province of Antrim was held in the Masonic Hall Whiteabbey on the above date, R.W. Brother J.H. Sterling D.G.M presiding.
- Officers and members as per attendance book.
- The circular convening the meeting was read.
- The following apologies were received and accepted.
- Brother Crawford P.G.D of Ceremonies
- The Grand Treasurer and two Grand Chaplains. Brother H. Glendenning – V.W. Brother Walter Nelson – V.W. Brother F. Robinson – Brother Fred Kelso – Brother Wm. Grant MP . and Brother Jas. Paisley.
- The R.W. Brother J.H. Sterling D.G.M. expressed the pleasure he and the officers had in coming to Whiteabbey to Constitute the Andrew Henderson Masonic Lodge No.512. Everything being in order the ceremony was carried out in R.W. Brother Sterling’s very efficient manner. After the dedication the Roll of the Foundation Members of the new Lodge was called by the Secretary and the members responded thereto.
At this stage Brother Wm. J. Wilson PM presented a pretty W.M. maul and Brother Sam McClure PM, two mallets for the Wardens and requested R.W. Brother Sterling to present them to the Master and Wardens to be used for and in the Labour of the Andrew Henderson Masonic Lodge No 512. R.W. Brother Sterling accepted them and complimented to the brethren on the beauty and usefulness and handed same to each Brother as he was Installed.
The Installation of the following Brethren was as follows :-
- Brother Robert Dickson – Worshipful Master
- Brother Robert Allen – Senior Warden
- Brother Wm. J. McKinstry – Junior Warden
- Brother David Wallace PM – Treasurer
- Brother Samuel McClure PM – Secretary
- Brother David Martin – Senior Deacon
- Brother Arthur P. McDonald – Junior Deacon
- Bro Alex Martin – Inner Guard
Brother McClure proposed that we place on record our appreciation of the very efficient and dignified manner that R.W. Brother Sterling DGM and the Officers of the Provincial Grand Lodge carried out the duties of the constitution and the installing of the Andrew Henderson Masonic Lodge. This was seconded by Brother Wm. J. Wilson PM. Passed by acclamation and conveyed by the W.M. Brother Dickson to R.W. Brother Sterling who replied in his usual good style with best wishes for the future of 512.
There being no other business the Lodge closed peace love and harmony prevailing. The Grand Lodge Officers and visitors were afterwards entertained to dinners by the members of the new lodge.
Signed – Robert Dickson WM
Samuel McClure Secretary
History of the Lodge Warrant
This warrant was first issued in the year 1774, to be worked by the 63rd Regiment then stationed in Ireland. The 63rd Regiment previous to 1758 was the 2nd Battalion of the 8th (Wolves) Foot, but in that year it was constituted a separate Battalion. The 8th Foot was raised by Lord Ferrars of Chartley, and played an important part in the Irish Campaign of William Ш.
In 1775, the year after the Warrant was issued, the war of American Independence began. The inhabitants of America who being dissatisfied for a considerable time with the British Rule, broke into open hostility. In this year the 63rd Regiment was drafted to the seat of trouble and served for six years as Mounted Infantry.
It gained renown at the great battles of Bunker Hill and Brandywine, was at the storming of Port Clinton and captured the works of Stoneypoint on the Hudson. It took part in the fall of Charleston, the battles of Camden and Hobkirk’s Hill. The last great fight of the 63rd in America was at Eataw Spring. The Regiment performed many gallant deeds, but all hopes of reducing the Country under subjection of Britain were abandon and in 1783 the Independence of America was recognised.
In 1794 the Regiment was fighting on the plains of Flanders, and two years afterwards we read of it upholding Britain’s honour in the West Indies. In 1798 it was dispatched to the British Settlement of Honduras, where, for its services, it received special mention from the Commander-in-Chief.
We afterwards find the 63rd engaged in its Country’s service in different parts of the Globe, the most notable engagements being the Battle of Alexandria and the Expedition to Madeira.
The 2nd Battalion of the Regiment was disbanded in the year 1814, when the warrant was surrendered. The 63rd Regiment along with the 96th was afterwards formed into the Manchester Regiment.
The warrant remained dormant until 1921, when it was again issued to a number of brethren in the Whiteabbey neighbourhood. It is now worked as the “Andrew Henderson Masonic Lodge”, as a Memorial to the memory of the late Bro Andrew Henderson, JP. Parkville Whiteabbey, and of Whiteabbey Bleaching Co. Ltd.
To View a full copy of the Lodges History click here